Keep Ice Longer
Keeping things cold is what a cooler is all about. With thicker walls, more than twice the insulation and a full-frame gasket, YETI® out-performs the competition - it’s not even close!*
Thicker walls mean more cold-containing insulation.
The FatWall™ design of the YETI Tundra puts two inches of premium PermaFrost™ insulation in the walls for maximum ice retention. You’ll typically find just a 1/2 inch of insulation in ordinary coolers and maybe an inch in the more expensive models. The bottom line is that insulation thickness correlates to ice retention, and YETI Coolers are second to none!
YETI Coolers don’t just close, they seal!
Unlike ordinary coolers, YETI Coolers feature the ColdLock™ full-frame, freezer-quality gasket that seals around the entire lid to minimize air exchange. This seal, combined with our InterLock™ lid system, assures maximum, long-term ice retention.
Tips To Maximize Ice Retention*
- Pre-cool your YETI – When starting with a warm cooler, a lot of ice is required to lower the core temperature of the heavily insulated walls. Prior to loading your YETI Cooler, store it in a cool environment or use a sacrificial bag of ice.
- Use quality ice – Ice can get much colder than its freezing point. Warm ice (near 32°F) is typically wet to the touch and dripping with water. Cold, sub-zero ice is relatively dry and will last substantially longer.
- Freeze or pre-chill contents – Prior to loading your YETI Cooler, freezing or pre-chilling cooler contents like meat or beverages will help your ice last longer.
- More ice is better – We recommend filling your cooler with as much ice as possible. Ideally you want to have an ice to contents ratio of at least 2:1.
- Use dry ice – YETI Coolers are Dry Ice Compatible™ and can handle the extremely low temperature (-109°F), whereas ordinary coolers become brittle and crack. Dry ice provides approximately 3X the cooling power of regular ice and leaves more room for contents.
* Due to all of the known variables that affect ice retention, and because every adventure is different, we believe it is misleading to make specific claims about how long a cooler will hold ice . Your understanding of these factors is the key to maximizing ice retention. For more information on ice retention, please reference your YETI Owner’s Manual.
“Kept ice for 5 days in 100-plus degree heat!”
- Arnie Chandola, Northwest Voyageurs
“Held ice for 6 days in the Texas heat. Imagine what it would do in New York City.”
- Hoke Bullock, Marathon, TX
“Using dry ice in my YETI allows me to stay in the field twice as long, which means better trips for my clients.”
– Brandon Boedecker, PRO Outfitters
* when used as directed